It doesn’t matter where you live. In most states, you’re going to need car insurance to drive your vehicle on public roads. Of course, you don’t need the most expensive policy that covers all the bells and whistles, but you will need some sort of insurance to operate your motor vehicle.
This fact is especially true if you don’t want to pay the fees associated with an accident you’ve caused. Those expenses can add up quickly, which is why it’s great to have auto insurance, even if your state doesn’t require it.
But how exactly do you get this insurance, and how long does it take to get car insurance? If these are questions you’re asking yourself, don’t worry. This article provides the answers you need.
How to get car insurance
Getting car insurance is one of the easiest things you can buy. It only requires you to take a handful of steps, which you can accomplish in a day if you stay focused.
1. Gather all the necessary information
When shopping for car insurance, you need a few things. Without these items, you’ll have no luck in purchasing a policy, so make sure to gather all the necessities before you start looking for insurance.
The information you’ll need to have on hand include the following:
- The driver’s license information for every driver on the policy
- The name, address, and birthdate of everyone on the policy
- The make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN), annual mileage, current odometer reading, and safety features of your vehicle.
- The driving history for every driver on the policy (including violations, tickets, and accidents)
- Your current auto insurer (if you have one)
Once you have this information, getting car insurance will be an easy and straightforward process.
2. Choose what type of coverage you need
Every state lists its minimum car insurance requirements. However, you may need more than the bare minimum. There are several types of policies that might be a better fit for your needs, such as:
- Comprehensive coverage: It covers the repair costs from events outside of your control, like natural disasters.
- Collision coverage: This type of policy covers the repairs from traffic-related accidents.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage: This insurance covers the property damage and medical expenses after you get into an accident with a driver who has little to no insurance.
- Bodily injury and property damage liability: It covers the costs of injuries, property damage, or deaths from an accident you’ve caused.
- Personal injury protection insurance: This type of policy handles the medical costs, child care, lost wages, and funeral costs incurred from an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Medical payments coverage: It pays for you and your passengers’ medical costs after an accident.
Again, the type of coverage you buy will depend on your needs. Just make sure to consider what’s best for you instead of jumping to get the most basic policy.
3. Determine how you’ll shop for car insurance
There are various ways to shop for coverage, but you should look for policies online if you need insurance quickly. Most people take this route because it’s convenient. Most people take this route because it’s convenient.
Even looking for car insurance on your smartphone is an option many consumers enjoy. In fact, research indicates that more than 50 percent of people have shopped for insurance using their smartphones.
However, if you’d prefer to speak with someone, that’s always an available method. You can call an agent to get the car insurance you need. Or, you can visit an agent’s office if you prefer in-person interaction.
4. Compare car insurance companies
When looking for car insurance, you may immediately consider purchasing from household name brands like Geico or State Farm. But don’t be afraid to compare quotes and different car insurance companies before you make a final decision.
You want to take time to evaluate prices and see which brand offers the better deal. Additionally, it’s also helpful to read reviews and ratings about each insurer to see which ones have worked well for other consumers.
5. Purchase your new policy
Once you’ve found an insurer and policy that fits your needs, the next step is simple: buy the insurance. Typically, you can pay the entire amount at once, but oftentimes, companies will let you set up a consistent paying schedule. For example, you may make monthly payments for your car insurance.
However, one thing to keep in mind is whether or not you already have a policy. If so, you must cancel it before you move forward with purchasing a new one.
How long does it take to get car insurance?
Once you provide all of the necessary information, you can get a car insurance quote immediately. Whether you’re speaking with an agent or shopping for a policy online, getting a quote is a quick process when you have all the pieces of information on hand.
But the time it takes to activate your car insurance policy will depend on a couple of things, including:
- The method you use to get your insurance quote
- Which car insurance company you’re purchasing from
If you’re doing everything online and working with a reputable company, activating your car insurance will only take 10 to 15 minutes. Handling this process over the phone or in-person could make the process last an hour, but that time frame can get even longer if you’re speaking to an agent who isn’t knowledgeable about car insurance.
Where can you buy car insurance?
Maybe you want to keep things quick and convenient and would prefer to shop for car insurance online. In that case, you should go with our team at Barry Risk Management.
We have over 30 years of experience in the DMV and insurance industry. Our representatives know how to meet your insurance needs and give you the best deal possible. However, what’s even better is that everything happens online.
At Barry Risk Management, we pride ourselves on being a simple and convenient option for customers. Our online platform makes it easy for you to purchase the right insurance policy for you.
All you have to do to get started is give us a call. One of our insurance agents will help you get set up so that you have car insurance in little to no time.
Call 1-888-995-TAGS(8247) to get your car insurance online through Barry Risk Management!